The lady on the bus

sat opposite me. My shopping bags were everywhere. I apologised and she said it didn't bother her at all. We got talking about politeness and stuff, and she talked about how she had enjoyed the presence of the Irish fans.

"And the Welsh?"
"I wasn't in town when they were there. You have a little accent. You're American?"
"No, I'm Welsh. I've never been so proud to be Welsh and I've never been so disappointed."
"Why?"
"Well, the performance of our team, the behaviour of our fans, and that stupid vote to leave the European Union."
"Ah yes. The European Union has been a great force for peace, but our real hope is elsewhere."
"Oh yes. One day all these nations will count for nothing."
"Yes, it's true." She got out her tablet and opened a Bible programme. "Look."
She showed me one verse from Psalm 46 : He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth. He breaks the bow and shatters the spear; he burns the shields with fire. It was displayed in French, in Arabic and in the English New Word Translation.
"Yes. Psalm 46. God is our refuge and our strength. Ah, you're a Jehovah's Witness. There are things we share but also things that divide us, but still it's a great pleasure to meet a French woman who discusses the Bible on a bus."
"Oh, this is my stop. Goodbye"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen