Oodalally, golly, what a day

The day started chilly and damp, but off I set to hunt for firewood as we were down to our last bundle and the heating was non-functional.

This morning as I entered the 13.8°C living-room I reflected on how effective our heating really is and on how much you miss it when it isn't working, then set off to get a car and go to hunt for fuel. I found not logs but "densified wood briquettes", each one designed to burn for an hour and give out lots of heat. I thought I'd take a chance and bought a week's supply. Well they turned out to be rather wonderful! They light easily and last for almost exactly an hour each briquette, giving out lots of nice heat. 

I returned to await the plumber. He arrived. I put on the heating. No leak. Innit marvellous. Meanwhile we inflated the diaphragm of the expansion vase as there was some suspicion surrounding the hot water tank and the last leak we had some 18 months ago... The plumber left saying to phone him if suddenly the leak sprang. It sprang not.

Then time to sort out the service sheet for tomorrow and help prepare for the Dutch onslaught of this evening - pasta bolognaise for 7 dutch youngsters, 2 dutch men and several French attendants, plus ourselves and a few hangers-on. It made for a lively household.

Now the house is calm, quiet and warm from a nicely-alimented stove. And it's bed-time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen