Sluggish after a good weekend

Today my brain is running slow and everything else is even slower after a good weekend.

It started, I suppose, on Friday evening. Friday saw me take a funeral in Blaye, then scuttle back to return the car and get home to see Flavien, who had meanwhile flown from Marseille to Mérignac and been collected from the airport by Myriam. (Thanks Myriam !)

The funeral went OK, though it was glacial in the cemetery and it's very hard to pray when you're shivering, your teeth are chattering and the wind is whipping the pages of your notes back and fore. Anyway, mission accomplished.

Back home we got set for the Home Group. We were few, perhaps due to the several evening activities happening at the same time - FAC Games evening took at least two or three people away and another group was meeting, too. Still, the study was good.

Saturday Morning was Flavien's conference - an overview of Biblical Theology, basically - so we hopped on the bus and tram to Cenon. We were a decent number and the morning went well, though again the church was proving hard to heat. We could really do with a timer to put the heating on and off !

Then Saturday evening was the Chinese group, and Flavien spoke on the healing of the man at the gate Beautiful to an appreciative bunch. .

Sunday morning I was preaching in Blaye so I got the car, colected everyone and then left Pat, Catrin and Flavien at the church - hopefully now somewhat warmer after the heating had been on since Saturday morning - and hit the road. The service in Blaye went well and I was back in time to collect everyone, get them home and return the car.

Sunday evening English service at our home - Ananias and Sapphira - followed by a buffet with folk bringing food typical of their country. Afterwards I went to get the car one last time so I could take Flavien to the airport early this morning.

As I trotted through a deserted Pessac centre on Sunday morning at 9am for my brief chat with the JWs before driving off I thought, "Nobody has the right to be as happy as this, surely ?"

Later when preaching on Philippians 2:12 - 13 : Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed — not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence — continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose. I was struck again by the following verse : Do all things without grumbling or questioning

Grumbling about the situation where we serve God is surely foolish and wrong. Of course things are not brilliant, but we're called to strengthen what remains, not to pour water on the embers.

Anyway, after lots of early starts and late finishes I find myself on strike today. I lack pretty well everything you need to get up and go. Fair enough. Fair enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen